Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Getting started- materials

So now that you've decided to try your hand at metal stamping...what now? Honestly, the first thing I did was Google, "metal stamping". It brings up a little bit of everything and takes some sorting. First thing, materials. You can either buy everything individually or a lot of places put together starter kits, which can save you some money. After looking around, I decided to purchase all of my supplies individually, so I could spread out the costs. I think in the end I actually spent more money, but over the course of about 8 weeks. My suggestion, if you can afford $120-$200 all at once for a kit, go for it. It will save you money in the long run and save you time, so your not driving all over to find the proper supplies. Beaducation.com has a kit that has everything except for your bench block and hammer. There are plenty of sellers on Etsy that offer stamped metal kits as well. Here is a list and explanation of things you will need:


bench block- I tried a small anvil before and didn't care for it, so I use a 4"x 4" block. They also make a 2"x 2" sized block, I just liked having the extra space, but that size is fine for beginners. You will also see bench blocks that is both steel and rubber. The steel block sits inside a rubber base, so you can hammer softer metal without damaging it. You don't need it. *Note that if you do end up choosing one like this, take the metal block out of the rubber base before stamping or it will create too much bounce/movement and you'll end up with a shadow impression.

hammer- I started with a 1/2lb hammer. Which would have been fine for stamping softer metals like sterling silver and copper. But I had decided to use nickel silver, which is significantly harder than other metals. So I was told to use a 1lb brass hammer and I have been using that ever since. I purchased mine off of amazon.com to save on shipping, but usually I buy everything from Etsy when I can. To save money, you can also use just a regular hammer that your dad, uncle, husband, etc. has in their tool chest. I have not tried it personally, but have heard it works just the same.

metal blanks- This can be a little overwhelming. Blanks come in all shapes, sizes and gauges (a whole post on metal is coming soon!). First you need to know what you want to make: jewelry, pet I.D. tags, bracelets, earrings, etc. Copper is usually a good metal to start with because it's softer and therefore easier to stamp.

sheet metal- This is a must have for practicing! You don't want to start using your blanks until you've gotten a feel for the stamps and the process. Believe me, I wasted SO many blanks starting out because I didn't want to spend the "extra" money on sheet metal. Again, use Etsy, or check out "Helpful Sites" tab for more suggestions.

stamps- Don't buy anything fancy off the bat. My advice is to buy a simple, economy style font and try it out. If you still love it, then spend the money on the fonts you love. Economy stamps can run anywhere from $18 to $40 depending on the brand and size. I use 1/8in (3.2mm) for most of my pieces.

hole punch- If you are going to be attaching your blanks for jewelry, you will need a metal hole punch. There are two kinds: hole punch pliers, which are quick and easy but only work on thinner metal
and a two hole punch for thicker metals. I use the two hole punch because I typically work with thicker metal than the standard 24 gauge.

industrial Sharpie or oxidizer- This is what gives your letters or design their black color and makes them stand out. I've tried both and recommend using the Sharpie method if you're just starting out.

polishing pad- These work great. Takes a little elbow grease but it will clean up your metal after you've used the Sharpie on it or oxidized it.

These are the necessities for metal stamping. Next, we'll go into all of the extras :)

1 comment:

  1. Kayla, what a great post! I love all the info you provided. I definitely could see getting easily overwhelmed with all the different types and sized of things that you can choose. I can't wait to do some stamping with you!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your feedback! I try to respond to as many comments as my busy life will let me, but sometimes I am unable to get to all of them. Just know that I appreciate each and every one of you!

I would also love to answer your questions, so please feel free to leave those as well as feedback, comments, ideas, etc. Make sure to enable your email if you'd like for me to reply.

If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave an email address so I can get back to you or you can email me directly: threesandfivesjewelry@gmail.com
Thanks! :)

How to enable your e-mail - BLOGGER ACCOUNTS: To do this, click on your dashboard, click on "EDIT PROFILE" and place a check mark next to "SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS", and finally scroll to the bottom and click "SAVE PROFILE".